Thursday, February 03, 2005

Every journey begins with a single step

And so has mine...

Every day has been one day closer to the day I finally pack my bike and begin the long journey home. I have pictured that moment and fantacised every detail. There I am with the bike neatly packed and my leathers lightly worn in. I’ll do the usual check for passport and ferry tickets – and everything is sorted. I intend being ever so cool and unflustered as I swing my leg over my beloved motorbike and head towards the M25. I’ll finally be heading off home and embarking on the adventure of a lifetime.

Of course, its unlikely things will work out quite like I imagine. For one, Paul is coming with me which means I’ll be chatting away to someone. It also means an emotional goodbye as he leaves his home, family and friends.

Going home has always been the plan. But as its taken years to sort out, I feel a bit like a crazy person that has been plotting the most obscure plot – mostly over the internet. I keep on talking about it like a delusional nutter who babbles on about nonsense and people stop listening because they are nuts. Fortunately, for my own sanity and that of my friends, my nebulous “when I go home” phrase has now jelled into “I’m going in October”.

Home is South Africa, to be more specific, Cape Town. I have a sweet little house in Simons Town (bought over the internet) that I’m looking forward to living in. I currently live in London and so the long way home is in fact across the entire continent of Africa, North to South. The trip is going to be about 10 thousand miles and will take about six months. Its possible to do it in less time but I’d like to really enjoy the trip because it is, after all, the trip of a lifetime. The route is along the lines of France to Italy. Ferry across to Tunisia and then East across Libya and into Egypt. Then head down to Sudan and into Ethiopia. Drive South to Kenya and then zigzag about, ending in the lovely city of Cape Town.

As I think of the route and the planning ... I feel slightly panicked. So, for now, I'm taking one step at a time and viewing the adventure in small manageable pieces.