Monday, September 04, 2006

Where to find the engine number on the F650GS

This posting is dedicated to the guys at BMW UK, Guildford in particular, who weren’t able to help us locate the engine number. I believe they did try to find it but had no luck. We even tried to get the answer out of Rotax, the engine manufacturer who were also unable to help.

I admit that Paul and I had failed to find the engine number ourselves, even after being given advice of where it ought to be by numerous people. All we found was a barcode sticker that was badly faded.

I'd had sleepless nights worry about this number and so we asked Ahmet, the Motorcycle Guru, here in Turkey if he had any idea where the number was located. It took him about 30 seconds to walk around my bike, rubbed the dirt off and pointed to it. When I explained that BMW UK couldn't help with this vital but small piece of information they cracked up laughing.

There it is!
For those of you who don’t understand the significance of this… Try getting into Egypt and not being able to match the engine number of your bike with that on your carnet.