Saturday, March 10, 2007

To Cape Town at Last

Time has flown by in the sleepy hollow of Springs. Everything takes ages here as it appears that nobody will do anything unless you chase them and even then, they quite likely won't do it anyway. In spite of this the bikes have been fixed up and sorted out. I've discovered that Egypt is not the most difficult country when dealing with importing a bike. South Africa is. While in Egypt it takes 2 hours of mindless paper work and paying for various duties, stamps and a tourist policeman, here it takes months of mindless paper work and various payments and I'm still utterly confused about how to import my bike. I've been up and down between Pretoria, Benoni, Springs and various departments collecting forms that none of which seem to be what is actually required. All this time later and still nobody knows how to import a frigging motorcycle! So, I'm going to Cape Town with my UK number plate and who knows. I will probably do the same tiresome exercise there.

It's been great meeting up with friends and family but I can feel a nip in the highveld air so it's time for me to head for the coast...