Wednesday, March 30, 2005

BMW off road skills

When I learned to ride a motorbike I hit a learning curve. When I went on the off road skills course that learning curve was even more steep.

In all honesty, the first day was so intense and such hard work that I was mentally fatigued and physically battered. I finished the day feeling worn out and a bit terrified. I could not imagine that I would be able to do a second day. I was already re-thinking my route to be motorways only, which would have required skipping much of Africa.

By late morning of day two I finally started to have fun. I think that the skills I’d learnt the day before were sinking in and I was starting to enjoy myself. I had mastered enough to get out there and give it a bash without feeling petrified. By the end of the day I was having a blast and was all big smiles.

Recounting all I learnt would simply not mean anything. I always maintain that knowing something is different from experiencing something. In this instance, knowing that I would learn how to lift my bike and drive down steep hills was different from doing it. I can tell you how afraid I was and then how much fun I had, but you really need to experience this yourself. If I think of how I completed my degree and that was a challenge but I knew I could do it. Now, this course, I didn’t know I could do it, and I did it. How chuffed am I!

When I stood at the top of a downhill (I’m petrified of down hills) I looked at my instructor Nick Palmer as he told me, “Do this now while we are here to help you. You need to do this in Africa. You can do it.” I stood there and took a mental snap shot of his face. I knew I’d need to recall this memory and his comforting voice saying, “Trust the bike. You can do it” when alone facing dirt roads that scare me witless.

Two fingers

When doing any off road biking there is a very strict rule of TWO FINGERS. This means… always keep two fingers (pointer and middle) on the controls ie clutch / brake and the remaining fingers and thumb wrapped around the handlebars.

This means you will be able to keep control of the clutch and hang onto the bike. Initially it feels a bit strange but in no time you will see how this can keep you in control of the bike and on the bike should you suddenly lurch.

How to lift a bike

I thought it would be impossible for me to lift a bike that weighs a lot more than me. However, lifting a bike is somewhat easier than I imagined and it’s a technique, not just brute force. I’m not saying it was easy-peasy but I did lift the bike myself quite a few times, even when exhausted.

Here is what you do: Turn the handlebars so the wheel is pointing upwards as if you are about to turn into the sky. This is very important. Then hold onto the handlebar that is on the ground with both hands. First heave the bike so the wheels touch the ground. Slide your body towards the bike, in a squat position. With your second heave the bike will pop back up. Use your thigh to give an extra shove if you need to.

Fall clear of the bike

I don’t know if this is what we were supposed to learn on the course but falling clear of the bike is very sensible and a whole lot less painful. I realised that I could fall over and over again without getting hurt if I just made sure the bike didn’t hit me and I relaxed and rolled a bit, or jumped away a bit.