Sunday, November 19, 2006

Some Answers to the Questions Girl Travellers would love to ask

I spoke to a woman friend of mine on the phone recently and she asked me how I coped with sanitation. I said that the toilets were filthy or we just did a bush pee but then she asked more specifically about how I handle “that time of the month”. This is a very valid question and one I would have liked to ask before I left… so here is some information just for girls.

Underwear

I have five pairs of comfy knickers. They are cotton, big, saggy and don’t creep up my butt or chaff my legs but are really unattractive. Sometimes the seams can dig into by sitting bones if it’s a really long day on the bike. I don’t know if a seamless option is available but that would be even better. I think less than five pairs and I’d really struggle – considering it can be more than 10 days before I’d be able to even hand wash a pair.

I have one sports bra-top that is extra strong anti-bounce for doing off road and am thankful for it. My second bra is a push-up black girlie one. This is for easy days and just to remind myself that I’m a girl after all.

Periods and Sanitary Stuff

My period has been completely erratic since travelling. This is totally normal but annoying. I guess we just have to be ready to expect any thing.

Panty liners are available in supermarkets and in cities even in Sudan and Ethiopia. It’s easiest to find a store with a woman shop assistant if you have to buy some. I have lots of the extremely thin panty liners and they are proving to be great. I also use them when unable to clean knickers. Tampons are not easily available (actually, I haven’t seen them about). I calculated approximately how many I used in a cycle and have enough to last 4 months. Important: keep all your bits in plastic bags and in a fabric bag so that the package won’t rip or get wet.

When on the road it’s hard to find toilets and so I have found that if you use a tampon that is for heavier flow than you need it lasts longer and then a panty liner too will let you get through the whole day. By the evening you can use the comfort of your tent or darkness to sort yourself out. (By the way, guys hate this subject so much that you don’t even have to so much as hint and they will give you space and back off for the whole week.)

The icky side of things… you can’t throw these items away as they are not biodegradable so in your kit keep small plastic packets that you can seal and dispose of when you find an appropriate bin or fire.

My last and final resort is a mooncup that I bought off the internet. Don’t bother trying to find a stockist – you will just humiliate yourself even trying to ask for one – it’s not on the shelf (believe me). I hope I never have to use this but it’s there if I’m utterly desperate.

Another option a woman friend of mine discussed is taking the pill and skipping the pills that allow you to menstruate. I would fear turning into a hormonal psychopath but apparently it’s a safe option.

Clean and Moisturised

I have disposable face wipes that exfoliate and clean pores – they are brilliant and perfect for when I was unable to wash for days on end.

I’ve also used a lot of wet wipes. The Detol ones are particularly good. I can wipe down most of my body using one of these and feel surprisingly fresh. I use them like a cloth and add water and soap if needed.

Sometimes I’ve hung my Camelpac (water carrier with hose and a nozzle) on my bike and used it as a mini shower. By doing this I could at least dousch the basics with soap.

I use a good face cream with sun protection factor 15. I have a darker complexion and would suggest that this is the absolute minimum for anyone. In addition I use a factor 30 on my face and arms while riding. I have a night cream too that is rich and moisturising because I don’t want to finish this trip ten years older. I use lip balm with a high factor too.

I decanted all the creams and toiletries into smaller plastic containers to save weight and stop them breaking. I have had to use pieces of plastic as ceils because the vibrations can open and spill anything.

My best advice here is that you get used to being dirty – don’t worry!

Toilet Business

I have a tough plastic bag that is labelled “loo bag”. It contains:
  • A small, light trowel in a plastic bag
  • Toilet paper in a plastic bag
  • Matches and lighter
  • Wet wipes

    Please note that the desert is a dry environment and preserves remarkably well! This means that toilet paper will stay there forever – it has to be burnt. This sounds like an awful ordeal but its quite fun when you actually get to do it. As for the more rained on terrains, it is possible to bury toilet paper in a hole and it should degrade just fine.

    Bush peeing is fine. Sometimes it’s hard to find a bush or rock to hide behind but guys are really easy about this because they do it all the time… so it’s just up to us girls to take it in our stride. I find it best to announce loudly that I’m taking a pee and indicate which way I’m going so that the guys know not to go there or look. As for any strangers who might see me… well… its all part of the big travel thing. I’m sure they are more traumatised than me.

    Girlie Luxuries

    I have a few luxuries that I’ve really appreciated and made me feel REALLY GOOD.

  • Disposable leg wax trips. I honestly don’t know what I would do without these but not easy to find.
  • Sachets of intensive hair conditioner – planned as treats for Khartoum and Nairobi.
  • Tiny make up kit of a foundation, eyeliner and waterproof mascara… For special occasions - I feel so much less scruffy when I’m slightly made up.

    I hope that helps!