Sunday, June 19, 2005

London to Brighton – on a bicycle

Summer has finally arrived in London and just in time too. I took part in the 54-mile cycle ride that takes you over delightful undulating countryside all the way from Clapham Common to Brighton waterfront. Of course the last hill just slaughters you – even walking up was hell. It took a whole 7 hours of pedal pushing and numerous water stops. What a lovely day – Africa hot, sunshine and I really enjoyed the company of my two German student colleagues, Andrea and Davina. During those 7 hours, I did think that perhaps a little electric bike would help when you just feel like a break or get you up that mother of a hill but I suspect that the objective was, actually, to get all sweaty. I confess I was rather jealous of the marshals on their 500cc plus machines. Motorcycle police officers were out in force, big bikes, in uniform. Voom voom. Oh yes, thank you to those motorcycle cops for just hanging out in their sexy biking gear.