Sunday, November 20, 2005

Cape Town, you beauty

I hadn’t really thought about it much until we were on the flight to Cape Town when I started to tell Paul about Cape Town and all the things we could do. I started to get really excited – I hadn’t been there for 3 nearly 4 years. I was in a mad rush to get out of the airport so I could see my most loved Table Mountain again.

Paul suggested we drive out to Simon’s Town to have a look at my house in Welcome Glen. I didn’t really mind what we did as there are so many choices and all are brilliant. We had a look at my place that appears to have hippies living in it, with a bonfire in the front garden. They pay their rent, so I’m not too bothered. Then we did some spontaneous house hunting in the area and found our dream home. Only it would be really expensive to manage and could end up living to afford a house. So we managed to get a grip on ourselves.

Chapman’s Peak drive is open again (and a toll road) but well worth travelling on as its one of those amazing roads that you have to drive along at a very slow speed for two reasons, the lovely sights and the sheer cliffs either side. One side has cliffs that have large nets on them to catch boulders falling onto the road. And the other side is cliffs that descend vertically to the sea. It’s dramatic.

It was a great day of driving around and showing Paul all the beaches and telling him stories of days long gone.

We decided to stay in Cape Town city area for a few nights so that we would be closer to sights and things that side. We found a self-catering chalet for R250 per night in Tamboerskloof that turned out to be a shed. It was such a comfy little shed that we stayed on for 3 nights.