Sunday, November 13, 2005

Family day

Day two was a family day. I hadn’t seen some of my relatives since I was a teenager – which is now almost 20 years ago and others since I first left for the UK which is now 7 years ago. When I was late teens and twenties, I pretty much decided to go my own way. And did. As a result, I lost touch with family but heard snippets via my parents. The crazy thing is that they all look so the same. There are spouses and kids and again I got the feeling that everyone was doing really well.

A friend of my mothers (who again has known me since knee high to a grasshopper) looked at the crowd and said how lucky I was to have all these people come to see me. I hadn’t really thought about it 'til then but Margie had really gone out of her way to arrange the two get-together braais so I could touch base with friends and relatives who otherwise I wouldn’t have had the chance to see me, and they get to meet Paul.

I must admit that this was a long day as the sleep depravation finally set in and both Paul and I were shattered.

At the end of the day we walked back to my parents house. Springs is a strange place for someone like Paul to visit. I appreciated the good and the bad things about it – and possibly acknowledged my roots.