Thursday, September 15, 2005

Practice and More Practice

Dennis and Paul - Peak District
My mother always used to tell me that practice makes perfect. I’ve ignored most of the useful advice she has given me but when it comes to preparing for this trip, I must admit that I’m trying to practice all things when ever possible.

So far, I’ve done quite a few miles on my bike, 15,783 miles, to be precise. We’ve been camping out in all kinds of weather. Packed as much gear as we could into the panniers. Realised we don’t actually have to fill them. Some bits of gear are SO brilliant, for instance, the head torch – I can no longer live without. A small mysterious item is a silk sheet liner for our sleeping bags that keeps me warm and Paul cool and will probably spare our marriage on the trip. Some bits I’m still not sure about, for instance, our walkie-talkies and that ga’dam GPS. I’m and old fashioned girl with a degree in geography. Besides my experience leads me to believe that getting lost is often the way to find unexpected things – most of which are great. Paul thinks I lead a charmed existence and he isn’t taking the same chances. And there are other bits that I think will either prove to be wonderful or a complete waste of space, for instance, a green cooler box and a bush shower. In theory they are our luxury items.
Surrey this (almost) Summer
I have been practicing photography with this little dinky digital camera that is kind of small and awkward to use. I’m pants. But that does not mean I’m not going to share my lousy photography with you. It does digital clips too so just be thankful I can’t upload them!