Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The final final count down begins

Nine weeks to go and all of a sudden everything needs to happen, it’s all more complicated and time consuming than expected.

Paperwork is dependant on other paperwork that is delayed because of something that didn’t exist before… Banks are getting complicated and irritating and producing fine print for nothing and warning of possible possibilities. Every day we wait for someone to reply, who might simply be on holiday, yet another day wasted and our schedule gets squeezed and I get wound up. I’m just hoping we actually leave 2nd October because if we don’t it gets too cold to cross Europe and too hot to cross Africa and we will be jobless and homeless by then too.

With the exception of spares, I think we have bought every little gadget, goodie, thingie and whats-it that we could possibly need. We have a library of literature and maps. We have gear coming out of our ears. We have stuff that is completely unnecessary but “just in case”. I’m feeling swamped and wondering where Simplicity and Practicality went.

Sorting out the house is the real nightmare. Rental agents are seriously strange and I have now found out that it’s not just tenants getting yanked by the short and curlies.

The cherry on top is feeling really bad about Paul having to sell up his life in UK to embark on an adventure that is full of uncertainty. I can handle me doing dumb-ass things to muck up my life but feel slightly awkward about encouraging someone (who’s life was intact and in order) to do the same.

God help us.