Thursday, November 03, 2005

Time flying and I don’t know what else to say about it

I’ve set myself the goal of writing to the blog at least once a week. And most weeks I have something interesting happing or a little bit of information to share – but last week was absolutely uneventful and this week has been about the same. On the bike front that is. My growly blue baby is parked up and going nowhere at the moment. I feel pretty sad about that but I’m a bit low on cash as the submersion exercise has eaten up funds that weren’t there. I any case, it’s getting cold, miserable and dark so the commute to and from work is no longer fun but rather a chore, and from time to time scares me witless, it’s utterly dissatisfying.

I’m back at work after two weeks off on “stress leave” and things in the office are as always – in other words – political hell. On the bright side, however, I have two new Execs on board and they really do brighten my day and lighten my work burden. I think the time off was good for me as I’m enjoying my work in spite of everything.

As far as travel plans go… Last weekend I had a fantastic catch up with some South Africans who have all done trans Africa trip. In particular I was interested to find out how a woman friend, Charne, coped with all the tough bits of off road biking. I realise I’m utterly hopeless at off road biking and so I desperately needed to find out just how much of Africa would be really hard going off road. So, the basic run down is that there are more and more roads being built all the time. Probably only North Africa will have no tarmac options and the rest will normally have a choice. Most true too, is that once you are out there, you do cope and learn the required skills quickly. And I guess the final point really is that you aren’t in the same kind of rush as we are here. So with time on our side, options available and the hope that I will actually get better… I’m slightly less worried that I was the week prior.