Wednesday, November 16, 2005

St Lucia Adventures

We were having so much fun we decided to stay on in St Lucia and rather fly to Cape Town. We sorted that out at the internet café and went about enjoying the whole safari experience.

We spent the day doing walks. On foot one feels that much more vulnerable. I have a very healthy respect for all wild animals and so a few hours into the walk I was all wired up and jumpy. The final stretch of our walk entailed climbing over a very high style over a very high fence. We read the sign warning of “You are entering a dangerous area” and looked at all the “beware of” pictures. As we walked we discussed what you would do when faced with each animal. I figured a croc we could
climb a tree, a hippo was unlikely to be about during the day, but we could climb a tree. As for the elephants, we were stuffed, same with the buffalo, same with the cheetahs but they were quite shy. All I could do was talk a lot to hopefully frighten them off so we would have no encounters. The path was in a pretty obvious
state of disrepair and then vanished all together. To say I was a bit shit scared was about right. Just as I started to feel lost we saw a sandy bank with a break of blue and according to the compass in the right direction. So we climbed up. It was
such hard climbing, as we seemed to fall down as far as we stepped up each time, and by now I was in fits of nervous laughter as I could just imagine if a dangerous animal tried to chase me then. My only defence was to voluntarily die on the spot.